Monday 6 December 2010

Waterworld--The proposed energy system and a call for expert advice

Well, it's getting to the point where I need to finalize the energy system design. In order to run my initial ideas past some green building experts I have posted a summary of my current energy design concept on the excellent Green Building Talk forum.

Here is an extract from my post... (follow the link at the bottom to the forum thread)

I am looking for an energy design solution based around shifting water as the thermal mass and the goal is to keep the solution as cheap and simple as possible. 
The current house design has lots of glazing on the south side (maybe even over 25% of the total house--the roof slopes up to the south). The 1st floor is around 1200sqf with 550 sqf or so above in a limited second floor configuration. 
I want to utilize the south facing glazing to warm inside waterwalls/tanks and maybe some kind of inside waterfall that runs to tank/s that release the thermal mass stored overnight (flowing water inside would also help to humidify in the dry winter). I also have a couple of flat-plate collectors that can supplement the heating of indoor tanks/walls (and can buy 1-2 more) and unlimited free firewood for a wood stove (that could have tanks beside or near it)...

read on at...
http://www.greenbuildingtalk.com/Forums/tabid/53/aff/21/aft/78011/afv/topic/Default.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment